Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Zombie Apocalypse

We are all a bunch of Zombies over here on the moon. Desmond is teething his last molars (Dun, dun, duuuun). Because of this NONE of us are getting the sleep we need. Last night was the worst so far, which has officially turned us all into Zombies. We are crossing our fingers in hopes that tonight will be better!!

Our Little Zombie
Oh, if only he was sleeping like this through the night!!!

We have had a few neat experiences this week and there was one specifically that I wanted to share. We were up at my in-laws for Sunday dinner and it was getting towards the end of the night and Des really wanted to go home. He kept tugging at me, whining, taking me to the stairs, all of his little indicators that he wants to go home. We've really been trying to get him to verbally ask for what he wants, really any kind of babbling will do (since he doesn't speak any words). I was sitting on the couch and I kept telling him "Desmond, we can go home if you ask! Say bye, bye" I kept saying this over and over and over for a solid 15 minutes. I mean I would have taken any kind of verbal response; ma-ma, da-da, na-na, those are his typical noises. I kept at it though, trying to get him to say anything. Finally he came up to me, looked at me and whispered, "ba-ba". Whether it was an intentional effort to say "bye-bye" or not I said, "Good job Des! We can absolutely go bye-bye!!!"  I grabbed all of our stuff, told everyone we had to go now and that I'd explain later why we had to go so suddenly! It was really amazing! Like I said, whether it was a total flook or whether he was intentionally saying "bye-bye", whatever it was we'll take it for what it is! VICTORY!!

We have had some great therapy sessions this week too. Desmond seems to be doing more things on his own during ABA. His speech sessions seems to be more productive. Usually we sit in on Desmond's speech sessions, but the last 2 times we've sat outside and I think this has made all the difference. He seems to be able to focus better when we're not in there. Over all we are happy with how these past 2 weeks have been for our Desmond...minus the fact that he might be going from Zombie to full blown Vampire....Oh I hope he sleeps tonight!! We are definitely celebrating the little victories we see with our sweet boy. Progress is progress, and we will take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment