Monday, November 28, 2016

Therapy Update

I just finished up the Thanksgiving post and realized that I hadn't given an update on how all of Desmond's therapy is going! I think the best way to describe how busy our November was is to show you my calendar on my phone.
This is my busy, busy, BUSY life!! Desmond still has ABA with Rachel twice a week, and we've added an hour with Greg (Speech Therapist) and an hour with James (Occupational/Sensory Therapist) once a week. We have seen huge strides since Desmond has started seeing James and Greg back to back once a week. Desmond seems to be signing more for what he wants, his eye contact is better (still not great, but better), and he seems to have more facial expressions too.
What James does with Desmond at each session is getting Des to do a TON of movement. A lot of this is on the swings they have there. Here is a video of what that looks like:

I'm sure you're thinking, "Stop! He's going to make him sick!!" Shockingly, because Desmond's sensory system is low registration he doesn't feel movement like the rest of us do. If anyone of us were to do the same thing we'd feel sick, dizzy, nauseous, but Desmond doesn't feel this. Movement like this is crucial for Desmond's sensory system to "wake up". He is still "in his own little world/head" most of the time. This kind of movement charges his sensory system and get's him out of his world and into ours. I know it sounds crazy, but science proves that this method is legit.
As for his sessions with Greg, we do much of the same thing but incorporate language. This video is of Greg, Marshall, and Desmond doing the same kind of spinning motion, but adding in "more". What they're doing is spinning Des, stopping him, and then getting Des to initiate that he wants to be spun again by signing "more".



We are excited to see what the future holds for Desmond now that he's getting speech and occupational therapy once a week. 
I've said this over and over, but once Desmond turns 2 (in 3 weeks) we will start having Rachel over Monday-Friday for 2 hours for ABA! We are SO excited for this to start! For me it means we are doing EVERYTHING we possibly can for our Desmond. ABA everyday and speech/occupational therapy once a week was what we were strongly encouraged to do when Desmond was diagnosed back in August. Soon enough we will be doing everything in our power to give Desmond the best possible chance to blossom and grow! We have much to look forward to in 2017! I don't let myself future trip often, but I have thought about what 2017 might look like for our little Desmond. How will his signing improve? Do I dare get my hopes up and hope that he might be talking? Will he be able to interact like his cousins do? Oh do I dare hope?!?!?! I have learned through this process that it is crucial that we have hope, but in turn our hope must be logical/reasonable. Again, reason tells us that most likely Desmond won't start talking (if at all) until he's closer to 4-5 years old. Reason tells us that Desmond's progresses will be in little baby steps. Reason tells us that he might never interact like his cousins do.
By small and simple things.
I constantly find myself repeating this phrase. These small and simple things we're doing will add up to something great. Do we know what that great thing will be? No. I mean it would be AMAZING if Desmond in the end started talking. However, I understand that it would be GREAT if we could get him to communicate through sign language or even through pictures on a tablet. Progress is progress, even if in the end it's not what this mother hopes for.
As for now, I am happy and I am content. There is so much good happening for our Desmond in his therapies and in our life. I will say this, "Marshall was right." He knew that we would love this new life, and I can finally say that I am starting to enjoy it. I don't think I quite LOVE all the appointments, that I have to keep my house clean for therapy sessions, and that I still feel so distant from my child sometimes; but I do LOVE those moments when my boy sits next to me on his own accord, when he makes eye contact with me for just a second or two, when he hugs Danny, or when he does his little signs. I truly do LOVE all of that. Most of all, I LOVE my boy. I love my Desmond more than I could every try to articulate, and this, THIS is what keeps me going, keeps me hoping, keeps me afloat here on the moon.


No comments:

Post a Comment