Sunday, August 21, 2016

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind...

August 19, 2016

Today was our first session with Desmond's new therapist and it went really well. I don't know what I was expecting, I think the worst. This whole week I was thinking, "She's going to come in and tell me all the horrible things I've been doing as his mother and that we need to change everything!" I tend to do that. I tend to think of the WORST possible scenario. There is a positive to this way of thinking though, it never ends up being THAT bad. This was the case today.
She came for 2 hours and mostly spent time playing with Desmond. She wanted to spend the time getting him comfortable with her being there. We spent most of the time trying to get him to play with us. This is sometimes difficult. He's not the type of kid who will sit down and play for long periods of time. He prefers to run around and be active. With that being said, he did okay playing with us. There were quite a few times where I had to grab him and bring him back, but over all he did well.
I think the biggest miracle is that he seemed to really like Rachel! He interacted with her a few times and didn't seem to mind that she was there. Desmond doesn't usually warm up to strangers, but he did with her. I was SO GRATEFUL!
Our game plan for now is to have her come once a week and then once Desmond turns 2 we'll hit it hard and have her come every day. I don't know much of what is to come, but she explained it a little to me. A lot of what ABA is, is choice/reward. She asked a lot of questions about what he loves and what would be good rewards for him. She said we'll start by getting him a little work station, a place in his room where he knows it's where he "works". The first thing we'll need to get him to do is to stay in the room and stay in the chair. If he does that he'll get a reward, like he'll get to take a 5 minute Sesame Street break (Desmond LOVES Sesame Street) or get a treat, something like that. Once we get him to understand his "work time" we'll move on to things like eye contact, imitation, social interactions, and language.
Today may have been just a little step for Desmond, but it was a huge step for me. I was so worried about having a stranger come into our home and judging me as a mother (I know, a totally stupid thought). This was not the case, at all. This process is going to be tiny steps of faith and I know sometimes huge steps of faith. I feel like a lot of this has been stepping into the dark HOPING that it will all work. Hoping that the future will be Desmond talking, Desmond interacting, Desmond looking at us. I hope these little steps lead us in this direction. But, until then we're going to have to really lean on our faith and keep hoping for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment